Introducing XVI by Julia Karr

This week we’re celebrating the release of our own Julia Karr’s first book, XVI.  (And next week is dedicated to the release of Beth Revis’ ACROSS THE UNIVERSE.) So, I’m kicking it off with a little introduction to XVI.  During the rest of the week, we'll cover the book more in depth, talk to Julia, maybe do something fun, and then end with a wrap-up by Julia herself.  On to XIV! (btw, check out the pic below of XVI spotted out in the wild!)

XVI spotted face out in a Nashville bookstore.


The Jacket Blurb (via Amazon):

Nina Oberon's life is pretty normal: she hangs out with her best friend, Sandy, and their crew, goes to school, plays with her little sister, Dee. But Nina is 15. And like all girls she'll receive a Governing Council-ordered tattoo on her 16th birthday. XVI. Those three letters will be branded on her wrist, announcing to all the world - even the most predatory of men - that she is ready for sex. Considered easy prey by some, portrayed by the Media as sluts who ask for attacks, becoming a "sex-teen" is Nina's worst fear. That is, until right before her birthday, when Nina's mom is brutally attacked. With her dying breaths, she reveals to Nina a shocking truth about her past - one that destroys everything Nina thought she knew. Now, alone but for her sister, Nina must try to discover who she really is, all the while staying one step ahead of her mother's killer.

Reading level: Young Adult
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Speak; Original edition (January 6, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0142417718
ISBN-13: 978-0142417713

My Favorite Things:
  • Strong, compelling female characters.  Nina is a jeans-and-t-shirt kind of gal who’s not taken in by the media hype.  Best friend, Sandy, on the other hand, buys the whole “sex-teen” thing wholeheartedly—because she sees it as a way out of poverty. 
  • The setting. Future Chicago is almost like another character in the story.
  • Heart-wrenching ending.  That’s all I’m gonna say!
Anyone else had a chance to read XVI yet? If so, what were some of your favorite things? Please no spoilers!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but ever since I heard about it I can't wait until I get my hands on it.

Pam Harris said...

I'm so excited to read this book! My cousin won a copy, so I'm looking forward to stealing it from her as soon as I can. :)

Lynsey Newton said...

Waiting for mmy pre-order to arrive but I'm looking forward to reading it!

Kate Evangelista said...

It must be so awesome to see the book on shelves.

Ellz said...

Yay Julia!

Nina sounds like my kind of character-she seems real and approachable. I can't wait to read her.

Emily White said...

This sounds awesome! I just pre-ordered it!

Mandy P.S. said...

Now I know exactly what book I'm getting when I go to the bookstore today!

Lenore Appelhans said...

Woo hoo! I am very excited to read it for dystopian february!

Unknown said...

Yay! Congratulations!!! Can't wait to read it. :)

Stasia said...

CANNOT WAIT to read this one. It's on two of my challenge lists for this year. And a most awesome cover!

Jasmine Cervik said...

It's already on my bookshelf here at home!! :)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Julia, I finished on Friday. It was wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that's awesome that it's already out in the wild! Congrats on the release :)

Kim Harrington said...

Yay! Congrats Julia!

Logan E. Turner said...

So, so excited about this book. Congratulations Julia!!

Just So Jess said...

So looking forward to reading this one!

Alissa Grosso said...

I haven't read XVI yet, but I plan on reading it shortly! I'm sure it's going to be an awesome book!

Angie Smibert said...

You guys won't be disappointed. XVI is truly an awesome book.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Pre-ordered and waiting for it to release. Found so many great books to look forward to on this blog. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I really really hope I see it at work tomorrow (Indigo Books, Canada). When I am done shreeking for Julia, I will buy my copy!!

Anna Staniszewski said...

Mine came in the mail today. I'm SO excited to dive in!

Julia said...

Thanks for all the XVI love everyone! I hope all of you like it!