Tech Tuesday - A Visit to the Dentist!

Normally one would expect a Sci-Fi/Dystopian blog to deal with the future. But... one can't always see the future without a look at the past. And... this morning, I'm going to the dentist! (YAY!!!... uh... NOT!)

This is an interesting look at the history of dentistry - along with several interesting pics of various instruments of torture the trade used over the years.

http://www.namibiadent.com/History/HistoryDentistry.html

If you'd a mind to laugh about a trip to the dentist, you might want to check out Bob Hope in The Paleface. He plays "Painless" Peter Potter, a correspondence school dentist.



What will going to the dentist be like in the future? Here's a look at research on re-growing tooth enamel.


Dentistry advances in my lifetime have gone from drills that felt like they belonged in a tool shop to relatively painless laser technology. I do wonder what's coming down the pike. But, for now... I have a pretty good idea!

I do hope your day starts out better than mine!

Brush, floss, rinse, repeat! 


3 comments:

Kate Evangelista said...

Do you sometimes think a dentist enjoys seeing a patient flinch?

Tere Kirkland said...

Oh, I hate the dentist! I need to go, though. And I even have insurance, but I just can't make myself. That's how much I hate the dentist!

That book sounds really interesting, though!

Diana Dickert said...

It's amazing how dental equipment improves in time - from the dental pelican and dental keys of the past to the smaller hand pieces we have today. Hmmm, I wonder if lasers could be used as dental tools in the future. Maybe they could also make a stronger anesthesia that could render dental operations virtually painless.


Diana Dickert