Why everyone should read NOT A DROP TO DRINK by Mindy McGinnis

I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Mindy McGinnis's NOT A DROP TO DRINK (HarperCollins/Katherine Tegen Books) at ALA this summer, and even though I read the story months ago, it stuck with me. The characters, the mood, the setting--everything. In my opinion, this survival tale will resonate with all kinds of readers: male or female, young or old. So to celebrate the book's release last Tuesday, here's my list of reasons why everyone should read NOT A DROP TO DRINK.


1)  Because the story is reminiscent of one of those awesome old western movies, where the gunslinger is forced to make a final stand and protect his homestead--only, in this case, the setting is futuristic and the gunslinger is a young girl (DOUBLE WIN).

2)  Because Lynn, the main character, is a badass, but not in the conventional, superhero way. She's believably tough and determined, since she learns the tools necessary for surviving under the direst of circumstances. Hunt for food? Check. Defend her home? Check. Do everything she can to protect her loved ones? You bet.  But it's not just her badassery that's admirable--it's also that ultimately, she's got enough heart and inner strength to learn to let other people in, despite being taught to shoot first and ask questions later.

3) Because it's a surefire way to make you feel better about your own crappy situation. I mean, think your life is rough? Wait until you experience Lynn's.

4) Because this book doesn't pull any punches. There's no wimping out, no skirting the tough choices. The author remains true to the bleak circumstances of the story, which means Lynn and the characters around her suffer, greatly, as they try to make it in a very scary environment.

5) Because this is not a romance masquerading as a survival story--not even close. NOT A DROP TO DRINK is a survival story with heart.

6) Because you can't help but hum Beyonce's "I'm a Survivor" as you flip the pages... (okay, maybe that's just me)

7) And finally, because Mindy is awesome and hilarious, she can skin a deer, and she gives good arm. Blue arm, that is. (sorry, I just had to work that in. Vlog reference here)


Now, go out and pick up your own copy of NOT A DROP TO DRINK and enjoy! Also, tell us--
besides Lynn, who are some of your favorite survivors from books, TVs or movies?


8 comments:

Robin said...

I can't wait to read this one. I want a signed copy. Mindy, you're coming to NC, right???

Ronald L. Smith said...

I'm looking forward to reading this. Sounds fantastic.

BBC said...

Thank you Deb for the awesome post!! Robin - I don't have any east coast tours scheduled, but maybe someday!

aneeta said...

Sounds wonderful. Inquiring minds want to read this.
Commercial Projects in Sector 153 Noida

Visa & Immigrations said...

Sounds amazing!

Canada Work Permit Visa

Visa&Immigrations said...

I'm convinced that I've never seen blogs quite like this before. Please continue to update it. For Latest UK News

Jobs N Recruitment said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
360coffeemaker said...

It's this blog that I was searching for. I will greatly benefit from this content. Regards for sharing it. general electric coffee maker